Tips for changing your spa water using the Clear Choice system
A big question we are often asked is ‘how often do I need to change my spa water?’ That totally depends on how your water is looking and feeling. It’s generally recommended to change your spa water every six to twelve months for fresh clear spa water, but you may need to change your water earlier or even later than those guidelines depending on how often you use it and how much stuff you’ve been putting in it, and how big your spa is.
If you have been using your small spa everyday and using spa crystals in it regularly, you may need change your water after three months. Conversely if you have a larger spa and have been using weekly and adding nothing at all to the water, you may find you can go for 12 months. Other factors also come in play such as how efficient your spa’s filter pump is and what condition your spa filter is in.
No matter when you decide it’s time for a change, the good news is that with the Clear Choice system you can effectively change your water and clean your spa without using any harsh spa chemicals.
So what’s the procedure for changing your spa water when using Clear Choice spa products?
- Before you drain the water from your spa, purge your spa pipes and filtering system with Clear Choice Spa Prep. It contains non-bacterial enzymes, plant extracts and natural surfactants (soaps) that quickly breakdown and remove organic and chemical build up from your spa’s plumbing. Depending on the size of your spa you usually only need to use half a bottle. Pour in the required amount of Spa Prep and let this circulate through you spa for one day. Because Spa Prep doesn’t contain any harsh chemicals you can continue to use your spa normally during this time.
- The next day turn off the power supply to your spa and drain the water out according to your spa’s instructions. The beauty of Clear Choice is that the water is healthy enough to drain onto your lawn and garden beds, as it contains no harsh spa chemicals!
- Remove the filter and Filter Sleeve if you are using one and leave them to soak for a few hours in a vinegar and water solution.
- Wipe out the inside of your spa using a micro-fibre cloth which will effectively remove any scum from the sides of your spa and mop up any remaining water in the bottom of the spa.
- Thoroughly clean the spa filter with the jet attachment of your garden hose, re-tie the Filter Sleeve and place the filter back into your spa.
- Refill the spa using a new Clear Choice Pre-filter, which removes all unwanted metals and minerals before they enter your spa. If you use rainwater there is no need to use a Pre-filter.
- Turn the power back on to the spa and run your spa’s usual filtration and heating program.
- Add the appropriate number of Spa Drops to your spa water according the instructions on the side of the bottle and you’re done!
Not already using Clear Choice spa products?
Don’t worry…switching to Clear Choice is as easy as the water change procedure described above and Clear Choice Spa Prep is the first step in converting your spa to the Clear Choice natural spa system.
Simply pour in a bottle of Clear Choice Spa Prep into the existing water in your spa and leave it to purge your spa for 5 to 7 days (you can use your spa during this time). Then simply follow the instructions above for changing the water.
Clear Choice Spa Prep, Pre-filter, Spa Drops and everything you need to maintain your spa the Clear Choice way are all available in our Clear Choice Starter Kit.
To keep your water crystal clear keep your spa lid clean and on the spa at all times and be sure to clean your spa’s filter weekly. For more information on maintaining your spa filter see our post ‘Your Spa Filter is Important!’.